Sunday, October 07, 2018

Deacon Spotlight: Steve Grinnell

Steve Grinnell serving in VBS
Steve Grinnell came to Baptist Temple in 1981 after leaving Texas A&M to work for a local business. He got involved right away by joining the choir. Max and Inez Brunnemann, Steve's Sunday School teacher, took his young family under their wing and helped them acclimate to Baptist Temple.

Over the years, Steve has taught children and adult Sunday school, led Royal Ambassadors and Boy Scouts, served on the bus ministry, building and grounds and more. Steve is always ready to pitch in and help wherever needed but his favorite thing to do is help with baptisms.

Steve's faith was awakened while attending a Passion Play when he was in the third grade. He made a public profession of faith as an adult and was baptized at FBC College station. It was there his faith began to grow and mature.

Recently, Steve started working in the office of the Baptist Temple Early Learning Center. His cheerful attitude and can do spirit has been a boost to morale and is helping to build bridges among the various groups that share our campus during the week.

A deacon for nearly 30 years, Steve's faith grew from the lessons of the deacons who mentored him. He said, “When life seemed like giant waves were about to crash down on me, Jerry Beauchamp taught me that God will carry me through. When I was saddled with a responsibility that I knew I didn’t have time or expertise to accomplish, Bill McCoy and Elton Dudley just showed up, quietly guided me through, and taught me to not give up. When I faced opposition that made me feel like I was battling a giant with only a handful of rocks, Woody Woodall said “stand your ground and fight fair.” Boyd White taught me to pray, and when I was finished, to pray some more. Max Brunnemann taught me to stay faithful and pay attention to the preacher because he is the man God has sent to lead us.”

Steve's love for Baptist Temple is demonstrated in the enthusiastic way he tells everyone he meets about our ministries. His excitement stems from the variety of ways in which God has blessed BT, both in the past and in the present.

Today Steve can say, “When we hear God’s voice and follow in faith, those crashing waves of doubt become ripples in a pond. When we follow his leading, that handful of rocks are perfect for slaying the giants that attack us and keep telling us that we can’t do this. When we follow God faithfully our consistent gifts honor Him and become more than enough to accomplish His will.”

No comments: