It has been another exciting year of ministry for the Baptist Temple family. In 2013 we baptized 14 people and added more new members. On the first Sunday of the year I spoke with four new families who were first time guests. They came because of our reputation for community ministry. One woman and her daughter started working in the thrift shop their first week here.
This past year has been one of solidifying new ministries and laying the foundation for growth in every dimension.
Here are some of the highlights of 2013:
- Our Director of daycare and preschool ministries, Paulette, started in January. She quickly brought stability, growth and excellence. Our attendance has been at an average of 100 all year, plus 50 kids in our after school club. Moreover, our summer camp kept our attendance stable all year.
- Community impact and teacher morale was enhanced through Buckaroo Days, Fall Festival and a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Academics were improved through the addition of A Beka and Wee Learn curricula.
- Along with Highland Park Gifted and Talented Academy, we have 400 children on our campus every day.
- Hunger ministries continue to be a big part of our ministry
- Last year we reached the point of distributing 16,000 lbs of food each month. Most of it is on our Thursday and Saturday distributions but also there Sunday bread and sweets distributions, emergency lunches for transients, free or reduced lunch and breakfasts for our school children, backpack meals for our children in danger of hunger over the weekend, and free summer feeding.
- Our partners in reducing hunger are the San Antonio Food Bank (who provide food at less than .10 a pound), the San Antonio Baptist Association (who gave us $1250 this year from the hunger walk), the Texas Christian Life Commission (who gave us $1200 this year to purchase food), the Texas Department of Agriculture who provide funding for the free or reduced breakfast and lunch and free summer feeding program), the Thrift Shop (which covers all other costs), and the dozens of volunteers who make these programs happen.
- We participated in UTSA's “Building a Healthy Temple” program to improve the health of our church family in partnership with the Baptist Health Foundation and the SA Food Bank.
- Wednesday Night Meals returned, along with AWANA, bringing a renewed spirit to our midweek ministries. We have programs for children and youth and for adults in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
- Heartstrong for CHRIST!
- In order to ensure that our facilities would be able to continue ministry into this new century you pledged $362,252 over the next three years and gave $80,950 in first fruits.
- There is still an opportunity to pledge if you have not already done so.
- The generation gathered at the 150th anniversary of Baptist Temple, will rise and call you blessed.
- We were blessed to receive $23,000 for our endowment from the estates of Ed Flynn, Nell Liverett and Weldon Frazelle.
- Of course there are still the ongoing ministries that are so much of our church life such as free family counseling, young in heart, ceramics, Sunday school, worship and more.
Your financial support makes all this possible. You can be sure that your tithes, offerings, grants and gifts are put to good use at Baptist Temple. This year we will build upon the blessings of the past few years.
- We will develop a system to improve our ability to meet the spiritual needs of our food pantry and thrift shop clients.
- Develop a High School diploma program for young adults
- Start a Bible Institute.
- Expand our Healthy living initiative thanks, in part, to a $7500 grant from the Baptist Health Foundation.
- Add to the classes we offer on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings
- Add two more weekend worship opportunities.
It is indeed a privilege to serve Baptist Temple Church and the extended family of friends and supporters with whom God has blessed us. Thank you for being a blessing to our church and community and let's make 2014 a year to remember.