Saturday, November 09, 2013

Called to Sacrifice

Guest blog Elizabeth Trujillo

Long ago, the Holy Spirit called us to attention and said, “I plead with you fellow members that you present yourselves as living sacrifices which is your spiritual service.” (Romans 12:12) What does that mean though, to sacrifice for the Lord? As Christians we are to put God first in our lives and he will bless us immensely. Following the Lord does include sacrificing for him. When we discuss sacrifice, the thought turns to monetary sacrifice. However, sacrifice can be of one’s time, talent, and treasures. I am one who understands sacrifice deeply. As a single mother, I have sacrificed for my daughter every day. I began to realize that I did not always sacrifice for Jesus.

This realization brought me to the verse: “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ who though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor that by His poverty you might become rich” (II Corinthians 8:9). This “aha” moment brought me to my knees, knowing that my greatest fear is the inability to provide for my little family and that I needed to trust God with that fear. I handed it over to him and began to sacrifice my time and talent working in the nursery. I began to share my treasures according to his will. In this time of great giving the sacrifice in which we all make must be one that is worthy of that which our Savior made for us. Nothing could ever be written, spoken, or imagined to fully demonstrate how great the price Jesus paid for our redemption.

Sacrificing for Jesus should be something worthy of our Lord. With David we must say: “God forbid that I should offer to Him that which is not a sacrifice.” (Samuel 24:24) Only the complete surrender and sacrificial giving of self and substance will suffice. Once such sacrifice is made, the Lord will provide justly. Each of us must be prayerful about our sacrifices during this time of giving, growing, and gathering.

“Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.” (2 Corinthians 9:15)

No comments: