Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving Thanks is Good for You


A thankful attitude will make us happier, better witnesses of Christ’s love, and enhance our relationships. This is something to keep in mind on Thursday as we gather with our families. I hope that we will do more than overeat and watch football. Thanksgiving is a good holiday to turn us into grateful people. It is a good time to transform “stinkin' thinkin'” into an “attitude of gratitude.”

A thankful spirit will set you apart from the world; it makes us different. It will increase your personal happiness. Happiness is determined by our attitude not our circumstances. The apostle Paul wrote these words from prison: "Rejoice in the Lord always," he wrote, "and again I say it rejoice." (Philippians 4:4)

A thankful spirit will improve your witness for Christ. It is sad to see a negative, mean-spirited Christian; who see a glass as half empty, dirty and cracked.
 
When we are thankful, joyful, upbeat people, we attract the lost with our spirit of gratitude because the world is dark, depressing and ungrateful.
"Live such good lives among the pagans that they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:12

Imagine how much better our relationships would be if we expressed our thanks for each other from time to time; instead of picking at each other's faults. The apostle Paul expressed thanks in his letters in the Bible.
  • Rome: “First, I thank my God for all of you.” (Romans 1:8)
  • Corinth: “I always thank God for you” (1 Corinthians 1:4)
  • Ephesus: “I have not stopped giving thanks for you; remembering you in my prayers.” (Ephesians 1:16)
  • Philippi: “I thank my God every time I remember you.” (Philippians 1:3)
  • Colossi, “I always thank God when I pray for you.” (Colossians 1:3)
Paul let people know that he was thankful for them. Imagine how much better our churches and our relationships would be if we expressed our thanks for each other.

We can develop thanksgiving in our lives if we remember that everything we have is from God.: “The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.” (Psalm 24:1)

We can develop thanksgiving in our lives if we avoid complaining. Complaining amplifies frustration, spreads discontent and discord. “I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed.” (Psalm 77:3)

Find something each day for which to be thankful. “Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything.” (Ephesians 5:19)


No comments: