Friday, October 25, 2013

How Strong is Your Heart?

I was once served with three lawsuits for a total of over half a million dollars over a car accident that wasn't my fault. It was my final year of seminary. After years of financial sacrifice it seemed that the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train.

I cried out to God in despair. He reminded me that it is He who provides for my needs. I was almost 30 and had been on my own since I was 17. I'd always had food, clothes, a car and a place to live.

I realized that I developed a belief in my own power to take care of myself. I was not only being served a lawsuit but, also, a reminder that all I am and all I have belong to God. The lawsuits went away and I grew stronger in my faith.

As I have encountered financial blessings and financial hardship, I have been able to praise God from whom all blessings flow; in all circumstances. He has given me the courage to walk by faith; walking step by step into the future knowing that God goes before me.

When I was called to Baptist Temple I saw the potential, not the need. I saw the opportunity, not the obstacles. God has always provided and He always will.

As we move into this capital campaign I realize that this is not about how much money is needed. It is an exercise of faith. The theme Heartstrong for CHRIST! resonates in my soul. How strong is my heart? How strong is my faith?

God has given me this opportunity to partner with Him in this effort to maintain the ministry of Baptist Temple and extend it into the future. I am excited about it. I am convinced that God will prevail because He is greater than all our calamities.

I ask that you join me in prayer. Ask God to reveal His will to us as individuals and as a church.

No comments: