Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Urban ministry is a special calling

Urban ministry is a special calling. There was a time when I wanted to escape for the city with its gangs, traffic and urban blight. Military service was ticket out but God had different plans.

As I began to discern my call to ministry, the cities kept calling. Circumstances led me first to New Orleans, then to Metro Chicago and now to San Antonio. None of these places were on my wish list but God’s call was clear and I followed. The result has been years of fruitful and fulfilling ministry.

I learned to immerse my in the culture of the cities where I lived. I enjoyed the food, the festivals and the particular seasons. God gave me a heart for the people and for the place itself.

Not everyone can love the city. Some will find ways to escape to the suburbs and never come back. Others will commute because the city still provides employment but will keep their families tucked away in the suburbs.

I thank God for those who minister in the cities of the world, especially those who work among the poor and disenfranchised. They bring hope, fight for justice, and shine the light of the Jesus’ love in the dark places of the world.

Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper. Jeremiah 29:7

No comments: