Wednesday, November 06, 2013

My God is a Mountain Mover

Guest blog by Melissa Baxter

For the past few months, I’ve been involved in two very different, but very huge events in my life. My husband was diagnosed with a form of cancer that, had it been caught much earlier, would not have been life-changing. It wasn’t, and he has now lost most of one ear in addition to the hearing out of that ear. At the same time, I’ve been involved in the Stewardship Enrichment Campaign, Heartstrong for CHRIST, as the Alumni Committee chair.

Both of these have caused me to slow down and to review my life priorities. As I pondered the week 2 devotionals, I was hit in the face with the fact that I had not given God all the keys to my life. I shared with the ladies in my Bible study about that key, and how I had determined to hand that key over to God. It is both scary and exciting to give up that key, but I know that God will provide for all my needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus, just as he promised. As a testimony to this verse found in Philippians 4:19, on the same day as I had given up that key, God provided in abundance for our family through his loving and obedient servants.

My mother was raised at Baptist Temple but moved away. When circumstances brought her back to San Antonio, we moved in with our grandmother who lived in the shadow of the church.

The Clothing Ministry served our family the way our thrift shop serves so many today.

Baptist Temple's food pantry was there when we needed help with food. Today, we feed over two hundred families a month.

When mom needed help with school supplies, members of the church helped out. A tradition that continues today.

There are many other ways that I have been helped by the ministry and programs of Baptist Temple. Today, I am asking you to continue the work that those before us have started.

While we have not determined the amount of our sacrifice, I know that God will lay that amount on our hearts. When my husband is healed from his cancer, I will be able to return to the workforce and increase my sacrifice to this most worthy cause so that the ministries of Baptist Temple will continue into the next century.

No comments: