Friday, February 21, 2020

Showing God's Love

Who sinned,” the disciples asked Jesus upon encountering a man who'd been blind from birth, “this man or his parents?” (John 9:1-2)

It is commonly believed that one's physical state is a sign of God's judgment. A cousin of the tendency to “blame the victim.”

While we often want to debate the reasons for suffering and pain, Jesus cut the debate off abruptly. “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.” (John 9:3)

Jesus saw this man's disability as an opportunity to show God's love by healing him. Jesus wants us to show God's love to those who suffer. In fact, he closely identifies with the suffering.

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me...’ ‘...Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’” Matthew 25:34-36

Spiritually successful Christians serve others. In this way, we show God's love in practical ways. When we encounter a person in physical or spiritual pain, our first instinct ought to be to offer love and help. We must act quickly or lose opportunities. Hurting people will withdraw from church if they feel unloved. Jesus said, “We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work.”

View a video of “Sharing God's Love

This is part of the sermon series “How To Be Spiritually Successful.” It is based on the Masterlife study “The Disciple's Cross.”

GET THE BOOK:

No comments: