Monday, September 30, 2019

My turn in the nursery

Serving God in a nursery is so much more than baby-sitting. Many churches feel that they don't need to staff a nursery because they don't have babies. Could it be that families stay away for that very reason. Would someone in your church invite a young family knowing there is no nursery?

Ministering to young children serves both the children and the parents, who may be new to the faith. Putting a young family on the right path could help prevent many wrong turns in the future.

A church that wants to make families with young children welcome needs to plan ahead with a clean nursery staffed with friendly care-givers. Jesus said "let the little ones come unto me."

I ran across the poem many years ago. I believe it says it best.

MY TURN IN THE NURSERY
Last Sunday was my turn in the nursery to work.
My heart wasn't in it; my feelings were hurt.
A child from its mother did not want to part
And it cried a lot with its broken heart.
I prayed that soon the hour would end
That I could relax - no more children to tend.
Soon the hour was over; it felt good to be free.
I said, "Once a month was too much for me!"
That very next Sunday I sat in a pew
A very good sermon, but visitors were few.
But down came a woman and her soul was saved.
She was the mother of that crying babe!
Then it dawned on me that I had been a part
Of one being saved - giving God her heart.
From that day on I would never dread
Working in the nursery while souls are fed.
Author Unknown

No comments: